Innovation continues to be the Government’s mantra with the medical industry a clear winner. The Government has dedicated a total of $1.3 billion to fund genomic research projects investigating medicines that can be tailored to individual patients, clinical trials of new drugs and development of new medical technologies.
As you would expect from an election budget, there is not a lot of bad news or serious cuts. The black economy however features consistently with a multi-agency task force and all manner of programs including the imposition of a limit of $10,000 on cash payments.
There are also a number of tax changes to close loopholes and while not presented in the budget, the Treasurer has flagged the release of a discussion paper that will explore options for taxing digital business in Australia. There will be more to come – just not this year.Key initiatives
• $20k accelerated depreciation extended until 30 June 2019
• Research & development incentive shake-up
• Black economy – new initiatives and more industries rolled into the taxable payments system
• Introduction of a 3-year cycle for SMSF audits for compliant funds
• Seven year personal tax cut plan
• Major innovation funding
For any questions you might have about the Budget announcements and their implications to you or your business, please contact us.